The Shenstone & District Car Club was originally formed in 1933 to cater for the needs of motoring and motor sport enthusiasts in the Shenstone area. Following the Second World War the club was reformed in 1946. The membership consisted of around 45 people and events comprised of the Shenstone Cup and Trophy trial and a driving tests meeting.
In 1949 the club's events were to progress to a more serious nature when the first Chase Trophy Trial was held, and by 1953 this event became a qualifying round for the R.A.C. Trials Championship and the B.T.R.D.A. (British Trial and Rally Drivers' Association) Trials Gold Star. In later years it would feature as a round of the Association of Classic Trials Club Championship and also be awarded ‘trial of the year' by the A.C.T.C. in 1995. 1951 saw the introduction of the first Buxton Rally which reached B.T.R.D.A. Silver Status in 1956, with the main Driving Tests Meeting being granted a restricted status, going on to become a qualifier for the B.T.R.D.A. Flather Star event in 1958. In 1959 S&D.C.C. staged (in rather unpleasant weather) The Shenstone Rally on 5 th /6 th December, this being the club's first night rally. This too became upgraded to a restricted status and also a qualifier for the B.T.R.D.A. Silver Star. It also formed part of the Motoring News Rally Championship and featured many of the top club rally men of the era. The V.T.Fellows Memorial Trophy Trial (which was a development from the earlier Shenstone Cup and Trophy Trial) first ran in 1956 and was the very first production car trial to achieve National status, held at Bretby Park (near Burton-on-Trent) on 5 th March 1961.
With membership now expanding to over 300 the club launched its first magazine in June 1961, ‘The Shenstone Journal'. With no cover design for the new four monthly publication an advert was placed on the front – ‘Grand Prize must be won, club tie or car badge for best cover design'. During the 1970's ‘Cranky Torque' became the clubs newsletter, while ‘Full Chat', launched in May 1997 is today's regular must read. Communication of the Internet kind was introduced to the World Wide Web when the club's website was launched on 5th July 1997, having undergone several changes we now offer you this version over 10 years later!
The Curborough Yearbook (formerly Curborough Commentary) was first published in 1988 and features, amongst other things class records along with how to get started in speed events. Also helping new prospective competitors to the sport is the club's ‘Introduction to sprinting day'. Held at Curborough on an annual basis since 1995, this unique event has proved to be very successful, what's more it is totally free of charge! Also proving very popular and undoubtedly pushing today's membership figures to exceed 500 (last reached in the 1960's) are the many club activities including track days at Curborough and other social gatherings.
The V.T.Fellows Memorial Trial had lost the use of one of its regular venues, Toboggan Field in 1995, and no longer exists due to the construction of the Birmingham northern relief road. An appeal was made to club members in 1997 for a new venue to be found, but to no avail. After 49 years the last Chase Trophy Trial in 1998 marked the end of the club's association with this branch of motor sport. Rallying has also disappeared from the club calendar so the clubs aim now is to promote grass roots motorsport at the Curborough Sprint Course venue.